Weller Pottery was founded by Samuel Weller in Fultonham, Ohio, United States in 1872. The original pottery consisted of a small cabin and one kiln. The initial products produced by Weller included flower pots, crocks, bowls, and vases. In 1882, Mr. Weller moved the pottery to Zanesville, Ohio, United States. In 1893, William Long became partners with Weller and moved his Lonhuda Faience Company to Zanesville. Long’s partnership with Weller dissolved in less than one year. Weller continued to produce Lonhuda pottery but changed its name to Weller Louwelsa. The Louwelsa name originated from the first three letters “Lou” of his daughter’s name, Louise, and “Wel” from his last name. The “SA” was reportedly taken from his initials. After Long’s departure from Weller, Charles Babcock Upjohn became the art director for Weller. Mr. Upjohn worked in that position from 1885 to 1904. Upjohn is credited with the introduction of the famous Weller Dickens Ware line. Upjohn left Weller for a short time in 1901 to work at Cambridge Pottery in Cambridge, Ohio. Upjohn left Cambridge in 1902 and returned to Weller until 1904. Jacques Sicard who introduced the metallic luster Sicardo line; Frederick Hurten Rhead who developed the Jap Birdimal line during his brief time at the pottery in 1903/4; and John Lessell who created the LaSa line are among the most recognized Weller employees. Weller continued to produce art pottery until the company went out of business in 1948.