An American sculptor, Clement John Barnhorn is best known for his religious sculptures. Barnhorn was born in Cincinnati in 1857. He attended St. Xavier College in Cincinnati, and then worked for a woodcarving shop while studying sculpture with Louis T. Rebisso (1837-1899) and took classes at the Cincinnati University School of Design. For a few years he shared a studio with the painter and printmaker Frank Duveneck (1848-1919). Barnhorn traveled to Italy and Paris in the early 1890s, and studied under the painter William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1925-1905) and others in Paris at the Académie Julian. His works received awards at the Paris Salon in 1895 and at World’s Fairs in Paris (1900), Buffalo (1901) and St. Louis (1904). The Museums’ collection includes his “Boy Pan with Frog,” which was exhibited at San Francisco’s Panama-Pacific International Exposition in 1915. He also designed ceramics, including work for the Rookwood Pottery Company of Cincinnati. After his mentor Rebisso’s death in 1899 Barnhorn served as head of the sculpture department of the Art Academy of Cincinnati, which he held until his death in Cincinnati in 1935. (TNB 10/2014). Selected bibliography: Falk, Peter Hastings, ed. Who Was Who in American Art, “Barnhorn, Clement John,” p. 34. Madison, Conn.: Sound View Press, 1985. Saur, K. G. Allgemeines Künstler-Lexikon. “Barnhorn, Clement John,” vol. 7, p. 111. Munich and Leipzig: K. G. Saur, 1993.