Born in Oakland, CA. At the age of 15, studied under Perham Nahl at the Calif. College of Arts and Crafts. Later studied at the California School of Fine Arts with Frank Van Sloun and Glenn Wessels. About 1917 he became associated with a group of local painters later known as the Society of Six. During the 1920s and 1930s, he worked as a commercial artist in various U.S. cities. Until 1945 worked as a free lance artist for the San Francisco Chronicle. He taught at the Art Students League of San Francisco from 1948-1951. Due to poor eyesight, he stopped painting in the 1970s.