Doll-maker J. D. (Johannes Daniel) Kesnter, called the King of Dollmakers. Popular from the 1880s throught the early 20th century. The company merged with Kammer & Reinhardt in the 1930s. In the late 19th c., the factory employed 25,000 workers. From the 1980s, Kastner dolls were imported into the US by Geo. Borgfeldt & Co. NY exclusively. Kestner was responsible for the production of the first Rose O'Neill Kewpie dolls in 1912. Marks are scarce on Kestner dolls until they were required by import laws in 1981.