Hans Fischer first attended the Ecole des Beaux-Arts industriels in Geneva, then studied in Zürich. He worked as artist, graphic designer and cartoonist. He also painted sets for the Cabaret Cornichon. In 1945 an exhibition of his work took place at the Berner Kunsthalle. In 1955 he was awarded a prize at the São Paulo Art Biennial. A retrospective of his work was held on his centenary in February 2009 at Galerie Pendo in Zurich.