Search the Collections
Gift of Archer M. Huntington
Loan to Art Institute of Chicago, Rainment for the Lord's Service, a Thousand Years of Western Vestments, 11/15/75 - 1/18/76
Five Centuries of Tapestry, 1976-1977
"Zaluski Chasuble", 1987 (Pope John Paul II visited SF at this time)
Tapestry-woven chasuble showing scenes from the life and martyrdom of Saint Stanislaus, 11th c. bishop of Krakow and patron saint of Poland. Latin inscriptions :
- Front center- Intra nos geminus expectantes redemptio: Corporis nostri Ezec.
"...we...groan within ourselves, waiting for..the redemption of our body" Ezec is an incorrect reference, as the scripture is from Romans 8:23.
- Back upper left-Ut diligatis et serviates ei in toto corde Deut.11 "...to love...and to serve him with all our heart..."(Deut.11:13)
- Back upper right-Ego ecce in manibus vestris sum. Jerem:26 " behold, I am your hand..."(Jer. 26:14)
- Back lower left-Vestigio ejus secutus est pes meus, viam ejus custodiui. Job 23 "My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept..."(Job 23:11)
- Back lower right-Et ipse est caput corporis ecclesia. Ad Tess.1 "And he is the head of the body, the church..."(Col. 1:18)
- Back center-Nunc posuit deus membra in corpore sicut voluit. Ad.Cor. 12
"...now hath God set the members...in the body, as it has pleased him" (1 Cor. 12:18)
Yellow, green, orange, and blue floral pattern with birds, metallic galloon.
ecclesiastical costume. Dedication to Zaluskie woven into front hem border.