Originally the papal Calcografia, begun as the Calcografia Camerale by Clement XII who bought the inventory of plates from the De Rossi shop in 1738 and later turned the collection over to the state, at which time it became the Istituto Nazionale per la Grafica (the Calcografia Nazionale). See: Francesca Consagra. "The Marketing of Pietro Testa's Poetic Inventions" , in Elizabeth Cropper. Pietro Testa. Philadelphia: 1988. See also: Francis Haskell: The Painful Birth of the Art Book. New York: 1988, p. 8-16.