New York men's hat maker. Their building at 452 Fifth Avenue, erected in 1902, is now a landmark. Company founded as a retail business in 1838 by Charles Knox, an Irish immigrant. His son Edward, a Gettysburg veteran, took over sometime after the Civil War and they began to manufacture their own hats. In 1903, the comapny split into separate retail and manufacturing arms. At some time itbecame known as Arnold Hats, and has just recently closed in the economic downturn(2010).