Owned by the Rossia Insurance Company when it was acquired by Fireman's Fund. Presented to our President, JB Levison in the 1920's. Believed to have been presented to Czar Nicholas II in 1913 on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the Romanov family.
From the Hammer Collection, New York
Gift of Fireman's Fund/Allianz
Russian Imperial Treasures from the Hammer Collection, 1934
Salt cellar in the shape of Monomakh's crown or cap (Shapka zolotaya). It is placed on a trompe l' oeil damascened velvet cushion The sable-trimmed original, which dates from the 14th century (Kremlin Armory Museum) is a symbol of Russian autocracy. Its image was extensively used throughout the 1913 celebrations. Stamped underneath "KHLEBNIKOV".