In 1986, Crown Point Press made the decision to move from Oakland to San Francisco. Space was leased at 871 Folsom Street in a brick industrial building which survived the 1906 earthquake. Denise Hall designed the gallery and studio space and renovation continued until the move in the late summer of 1986. On October 17, 1989 the Loma Prieta earthquake damaged the Folsom Street building, causing it to be condemned. CPP moved its offices to a temporary space in the Friends of Photography building at 250 Fourth Street. Before the end of the year, a temporary studio was set up in a storefront space at 939 Howard, a temporary gallery was rented at the Monadonock Building at 685 Market Street. A permanent space at 657 Howard was purchased and preliminary plans drawn by Denise Hall for its renovation. In 1990, the interior of the 40,000 square foot building was demolished and seismic bracing was done. The renovation began and continued until October. An opening celebration took place on October 20, 1990.