Vicenza, Republic of Venice
Painter and engraver. Worked in Padua, Verona, and from about 1560 for the Gonzaga Court at Mantua. In Rome ca. 1480 working for Pope Innocent VIII. First fully Renaissance artist of northern Italy. His best known surviving work is the Camera degli Sposi (Wedding Chamber; 1474), the painted room in the Palazzo Ducale, in which he developed a self-consistent illusion of a total environment.